DRAGON BITES carb-counted recipe
A family-friendly, mostly healthy (sometimes treat-y!) easy recipe for families living well with type 1 diabetes.
Pop one in your mouth for convenient, sustained energy while on the go.
A portable snack for families on the go, a quick breakfast for busy days, or an easy take-along for a potluck or party... these sweet-with-a-hint-of-salty peanut butter + oats + pumpkin seeds + chocolate chip protein balls are simple enough for kids to make, yummy enough that you can’t eat just one, and healthy enough that you don’t have to hold back!
- 1/3 cup Coconut (unsweetened, medium shredded) = 3 g carbs
- 1 cup Whole Rolled Oats (Only Oats makes GF if desired) = 66 g carbs
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter = 16 g carbs [I use Kraft Unsweetened, Unsalted Peanut Butter - adjust carb count if you use sweetened peanut butter]
- 1/4 cup Honey = 68 g carbs
- 1/3 cup Extra Dark Chocolate, finely chopped = 18 g carbs
- 1/4 cup Roasted Pumpkin Seeds = 5 g carbs
- 1/4 cup Roasted, Salted Sunflower Seeds = 4 g carbs
- Toast coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until golden (5-6 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, peanut butter, honey, chocolate, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and coconut (once cool).
- Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Using about 2 tbsp of the mixture for each, roll into balls. Pop and enjoy!
Store at room temperature, or in the fridge to best maintain their shape.
Total carbs for this recipe = 180g.
Total yield (# of items) = 22
Carbs per Chocolate Oat Peanut Butter Popper = ~8 grams
Please don’t rely exclusively on my carb counting! Nutritional information is given for general information only, and will vary depending on the amount, type and brand of ingredients you choose - Please verify your carb and fat content when you make your own version of this recipe.
SHARE THIS RECIPE