DRAGON BITES carb-counted recipe
A family-friendly, mostly healthy (sometimes treat-y!) simple recipe for families living well with type 1 diabetes.
This nutritious home-made tomato, rice, basil and coconut milk soup is made with healthy ingredients for you, and decorated with a spooky Halloween cheese cut-out for your little one.
Gluten-free? Option given
Dairy-free? Option given
Nut-free? Option given
Active Time: 20 min
Melt: 5 mins
Set: 10 mins
Ready in: 35 mins
Total Yield: 6 skewers
Carb Content: 34g of carbs for each skewer (see detailed carb content below)
- 3 tbsp olive oil 0g carbs
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced 1 1/2 cups = 15g carbs
- 3 tsp minced garlic 3g carbs
- 28-oz can of diced tomatoes, with juice 32g carbs
- 3 tbsp dried basil 0 carbs
- 2 cups vegetable broth 6g carbs
- 1 cup coconut milk 8g carbs
- Salt and pepper to taste 0g carbs
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice 64g carbs (for Calrose Brown Rice used here)
- 1 Slice of processed cheese per bowl 3g carbs
- In a soup pot, saute onions and garlic in olive oil.
- Add tomatoes, basil and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add broth, coconut milk, rice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix with an immersion blender to desired smoothness.
- Use a cookie cutter to stamp out a pumpkin, ghost, cat… or your child’s favourite Halloween creature. Place a serving of soup in a bowl and top with a cheese shape.
Total carbs for the soup = 128g.
Total yield by weight for the soup = 1300g (resulting in a carb factor of 0.10* by weight).
Total yield by volume for the soup = 1400 mL (6 cups)
⇒ approximately 9g* of carbs/100mL (or 21g* of carbs per cup)
Plus 2-3g for the cheese topper, so…
For a 1-cup (240mL) serving, with a spooky cat or pumpkin cheese topper = 23g carbs.
For a 2-cup (480mL) serving, with a spooky cat or pumpkin cheese topper = 44g carbs.
Please don’t rely exclusively on my carb counting! Nutritional information is given for general information only, and will vary depending on the amount, type and brand of ingredients you choose - Please verify your carb and fat content when you make your own version of this recipe.
SHARE THIS RECIPE